Tramex Skipper 5 Moisture Meter (for boats)
The Tramex Skipper 5 is an instant, precise, dual-depth, analog, non-destructive Marine moisture meter which detects excess moisture hidden in GRP boat hulls, decks and coach roofs including sandwich or cored structures. The unique three-electrode array provides both shallow (10 mm) and deep (30 mm) perceptivity to help establish the depth of any moisture within GRP composites. In addition to the classic moving-coil display, readings may also be sent to the free Tramex App on paired Android and iOS devices.
GRP composites and hardwoods are non-conducting materials, nevertheless their electrical properties change with increasing moisture content. The Skipper 5 determines moisture content by applying a high-audio frequency signal between a pair of soft rubber electrodes on the instrument base. A third electrode provides genuine shallow range measurements on a smaller footprint. Capacitive coupling between the electrodes and the sample allows impedance to be determined. This is interpreted as a moisture value and displayed on a large, clear moving coil meter. Additionally, meter readings may be sent instantly to a Tramex App on Android and iOS mobile devices by Bluetooth
- Identify osmosis problems before blisters appear.
- Identify wet cores in sandwich or cored structures.
- Monitor hulls for drying before repairs and osmosis treatments.
- Check timber for excess moisture before painting, sheathing or varnishing.
- Effective osmosis treatment requires the complete removal of the hygroscopic solutes that are responsible for absorbing and retaining moisture and forming osmotic cells in GRP composites.
Featuring both deep and shallow modes the Skipper 5 is the ideal instrument for locating moisture associated with these solutes to help ensure successful treatment. Marine timbers also suffer from excessive moisture which causes blistering and loss of paints and varnishes. Trapped moisture encourages fungal growth and black fungal staining. The Skipper 5 enables quick surveying over moisture over large areas, will read through paints, varnishes and sheathing such as Cascover without causing damage and may be used to find and trace leaks above and below decks.
- Three ranges for detecting moisture in GRP and hardwood for salt & freshwater.
- Wide range of readings for wood of 5% to 30% on hardwood scale and 0 to 100 on comparative scale for GRP and other materials
- Identifies the presence of osmosis in GRP hulls.
- Confirms if wooden boats are dry enough for painting or varnishing.
- Trace deck and bulkhead leaks.
- “Hold” function facilitates ease of recording readings
- Soft rubber electrodes make direct contact without scratching.
- High moisture audio warning tone that can be switched on or off.
- Battery operated (included)
- Size: 160mm x 85mm x 38mm
- Weight: 270gConstruction: ABS Body
- Power: 2 x AALR6 ALKALINE (included)
- Display: Analog
- Depth of penetration:Shallow
- signal: up to 10mm
- Deep signal: up to 30mm
- Wood Moisture Content: 5 to 30%
- Reference scale for building materials: 0 to 100